I had the privilege of touring The New Foundation (TNF) facility yesterday. They are a 24/7 residential campus working with emotionally and behaviorally challenged youth. They teach kids and their families the skills needed for building a stronger foundation for their future. That is the message gracing their advertising collateral. What these words cannot express is the amazing atmosphere they provide for these troubled young people. They cannot express the kindness they show, or the respect they demonstrate. The words do not tell you the stories of the kids who come to them with their few possessions in a garbage bag, or the reality of kids who have turned to the streets for a family. These kids now have a place that provides a safe haven, clothing, nutritious food and excellent life training. With over 500 youth and families each year being touched by TNF, one must see first-hand the impact of this program. Each young person is treated as an individual, given the education, counseling and the nurturing they need to go back into their environment with tools to be happy, productive people. One could say they are changing the world one kiddo at a time! And what great changes.
The New Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit located in South Scottsdale (1200 N 77th Street). They provide residential and outpatient programs for youth ages 11 – 17 with behavioral/mental health and substance use challenges. Their evidence-based therapeutic approach brings hope, healing and transformation for kids and families. The New Foundation is an approved charitable organization for the Arizona state tax credit ($400 if filing individually/$800 if filing jointly). Tax ID# 86-0225726.
In-Kind gifts provide much needed items for the kids and families they serve. Please consider providing:
- Medium, Large and Extra-Large Sports Bras, Under Garments and Socks
- Long and Short Sleeved Shirts, Sweatshirts, Hoodies, Swim Trunks and One-Piece Swimsuits
- Shower Flip Flops in all sizes
- Hygiene Items – Sunblock SPF 15 or higher, Soaps, Body Lotions, Body Sprays, Face Lotion, Deodorant, Feminine Products and Toiletry Bags (All products must be non-alcoholic and not aerosol)
- Make-Up, Hair Accessories, Hair Styling Tools, Shampoo/Conditioner for all types of hair texture, Nail Polish and Remover.
- Movie Theatre Gift Cards, Tickets to Sporting Events or other Community Events
- Walmart or Costco Gift Cards
- Sports Equipment – Footballs, Volleyballs, Soccer Balls, Basketballs and Softballs, Mitts, Ball Pump
- Arts/Craft Supplies of all kinds
- Composition Journals (No spiral bindings please)
- And the list goes on!!
The kids need us! Giving them a great foundation from which to grow takes a community effort! One young person cried when leaving TNF because he was given not only his clothes, a duffle bag in which to put them and a new sense of pride…he was given an inflatable bed, a sheet and a pillow. It was the first time he had a real bed besides the one at TNF. He had been sleeping on floors or the street for all of the life he remembered. A BED, folks…we take so much for granted! Share the blessings and help these kids build Their New Foundation, and don’t forget to claim any donation on your tax return!